2. O‚ÄôNeill MD, Jais P, Hocini M, et al. Catheter ablation for atrial fibrillation. Circulation 2007;116:1515‚Äì1523.
3. Savelieva I, Camm J. Update on atrial fibrillation: Part I. Clin Cardiol 2008;31:55‚Äì62.
4. Wyse DG, Waldo AL, DiMarco JP, et al. A comparison of rate control and rhythm control in patients with atrial fibrillation. N Engl J Med 2002;347:1825‚Äì1833.
5. Moe GK, Rheinboldt WC, Abildskov JA. A computer model of atrial fibrillation. Am Heart J 1964;67:200‚Äì220.
6. Calkins H, Brugada J, Packer DL, et al. HRS/EHRA/ECAS Expert consensus statement on catheter and surgical ablation of atrial fibrillation: Recommendations for personnel, policy, procedures and follow-up. A report of the Heart Rhythm Society (HRS) Task Force on catheter and surgical ablation of atrial fibrillation. Heart Rhythm 2007;4:816‚Äì861.
7. Chen SA, Tai CT. Catheter ablation of atrial fibrillation originating from the non-pulmonary vein foci. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 2005;16:229‚Äì232.
8. Haissaguerre M, Jais P, Shah DC, et al. Spontaneous initiation of atrial fibrillation by ectopic beats originating in the pulmonary veins. N Engl J Med 1998;339:659‚Äì666.
9. Haissaguerre M, Marcus FI, Fischer B, Clementy J. Radiofrequency catheter ablation in unusual mechanisms of atrial fibrillation: Report of three cases. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 1994;5:743-751.
10. Jais P, Haissaguerre M, Shah DC, et al. A focal source of atrial fibrillation treated by discrete radiofrequency ablation. Circulation 1997;95:572‚Äì576.
11. Jongbloed MR, Schalij MJ, Poelmann RE, et al. Embryonic conduction tissue: A spatial correlation with adult arrhythmogenic areas. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 2004;15:349‚Äì355.
12. Kumagai K. Patterns of activation in human atrial fibrillation. Heart Rhythm 2007;4:S7‚ÄìS12.
13. Nathan H, Eliakim M. The junction between the left atrium and the pulmonary veins. An anatomic study of human hearts. Circulation 1966;34:412‚Äì422.
14. Hou Y, Scherlag BJ, Lin J, et al. Ganglionated plexi modulate extrinsic cardiac autonomic nerve input: Effects on sinus rate, atrioventricular conduction, refractoriness, and inducibility of atrial fibrillation. J Am Coll Cardiol 2007;50:61‚Äì68.
15. Hou Y, Scherlag BJ, Lin J, et al. Interactive atrial neural network: Determining the connections between ganglionated plexi. Heart Rhythm 2007;4:56‚Äì63.
16. Lin J, Scherlag BJ, Zhou J, et al. Autonomic mechanism to explain complex fractionated atrial electrograms (CFAE). J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 2007;18:1197‚Äì1205.
17. Lu Z, Scherlag BJ, Lin J, et al. Autonomic mechanism for complex fractionated atrial electrograms: Evidence by fast fourier transform analysis. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 2008;19:835‚Äì842.
18. Pappone C, Vicedomini G, Manguso F, et al. Robotic magnetic navigation for atrial fibrillation ablation. J Am Coll Cardiol 2006;47:1390‚Äì1400.
19. Po SS, Scherlag BJ, Yamanashi WS, et al. Experimental model for paroxysmal atrial fibrillation arising at the pulmonary vein-atrial junctions. Heart Rhythm 2006;3:201‚Äì208.
20. Schauerte P, Scherlag BJ, Patterson E, et al. Focal atrial fibrillation: Experimental evidence for a pathophysiologic role of the autonomic nervous system. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 2001;12:592‚Äì599.
21. Schauerte P, Scherlag BJ, Pitha J, et al. Catheter ablation of cardiac autonomic nerves for prevention of vagal atrial fibrillation. Circulation 2000;102:2774‚Äì2780.
22. Scherlag BJ, Nakagawa H, Jackman WM, et al. Electrical stimulation to identify neural elements on the heart: Their role in atrial fibrillation. J Interv Card Electrophysiol 2005;13(Suppl 1):37‚Äì42.
23. Scherlag BJ, Yamanashi W, Patel U, et al. Autonomically induced conversion of pulmonary vein focal firing into atrial fibrillation. J Am Coll Cardiol 2005;45:1878‚Äì1886.
24. Zhang Y, Scherlag BJ, Lu Z, et al. Comparison of atrial fibrillation inducibility by electrical stimulation of either the extrinsic or the intrinsic autonomic nervous systems. J Interv Card Electrophysiol 2009;24:5‚Äì10.
25. Zhou J, Scherlag BJ, Edwards J, et al. Gradients of atrial refractoriness and inducibility of atrial fibrillation due to stimulation of ganglionated plexi. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 2007;18:83‚Äì90.
26. Wijffels MC, Kirchhof CJ, Dorland R, Allessie MA. Atrial fibrillation begets atrial fibrillation. A study in awake chronically instrumented goats. Circulation 1995;92:1954‚Äì1968.
27. Reynolds MR, Ellis E, Zimetbaum P. Quality of life in atrial fibrillation: Measurement tools and impact of interventions. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 2008;19:762‚Äì768.
28. Hsu LF, Jais P, Sanders P, et al. Catheter ablation for atrial fibrillation in congestive heart failure. N Engl J Med 2004;351:2373‚Äì2383.
29. Khan MN, Jais P, Cummings J, et al. Pulmonary-vein isolation for atrial fibrillation in patients with heart failure. N Engl J Med 2008;359:1778‚Äì1785.
30. Wazni OM, Marrouche NF, Martin DO, et al. Radiofrequency ablation vs. antiarrhythmic drugs as first-line treatment of symptomatic atrial fibrillation: A randomized trial. JAMA 2005;293:2634‚Äì2640.
31. Spragg DD, Dalal D, Cheema A, et al. Complications of catheter ablation for atrial fibrillation: Incidence and predictors. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 2008;19:627‚Äì631.
32. Zado E, Callans DJ, Riley M, et al. Long-term clinical efficacy and risk of catheter ablation for atrial fibrillation in the elderly. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 2008;19:621‚Äì626.
33. Calkins H, Hall J, Ellenbogen K, et al. A new system for catheter ablation of atrial fibrillation. Am J Cardiol 1999;83:227D‚Äì236D.
34. Gaita F, Riccardi R, Calo L, et al. Atrial mapping and radiofrequency catheter ablation in patients with idiopathic atrial fibrillation. Electrophysiological findings and ablation results. Circulation 1998;97:2136‚Äì2145.
35. Haissaguerre M, Jais P, Shah DC, et al. Right and left atrial radiofrequency catheter therapy of paroxysmal atrial fibrillation. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 1996;7:1132‚Äì1144.
36. Jais P, Shah DC, Takahashi A, et al. Long-term follow-up after right atrial radiofrequency catheter treatment of paroxysmal atrial fibrillation. Pacing Clin Electrophysiol 1998;21:2533‚Äì2538.
37. Natale A, Leonelli F, Beheiry S, et al. Catheter ablation approach on the right side only for paroxysmal atrial fibrillation therapy: Long-term results. Pacing Clin Electrophysiol 2000;23:224‚Äì233.
38. Pappone C, Oreto G, Lamberti F, et al. Catheter ablation of paroxysmal atrial fibrillation using a 3D mapping system. Circulation 1999;100:1203‚Äì1208.
39. Haissaguerre M, Shah DC, Jais P, et al. Electrophysiological breakthroughs from the left atrium to the pulmonary veins. Circulation 2000;102:2463‚Äì2465.
40. Robbins IM, Colvin EV, Doyle TP, et al. Pulmonary vein stenosis after catheter ablation of atrial fibrillation. Circulation 1998;98:1769‚Äì1775.
41. Wright M, Haissaguerre M, Knecht S, et al. State of the art: Catheter ablation of atrial fibrillation. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 2008;19:583‚Äì592.
42. Gerstenfeld EP, Dixit S, Callans D, et al. Utility of exit block for identifying electrical isolation of the pulmonary veins. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 2002;13:971‚Äì979.
43. Oral H, Knight BP, Ozaydin M, et al. Segmental ostial ablation to isolate the pulmonary veins during atrial fibrillation: Feasibility and mechanistic insights. Circulation 2002;106:1256‚Äì1262.
44. Pappone C, Oreto G, Rosanio S, et al. Atrial electroanatomic remodeling after circumferential radiofrequency pulmonary vein ablation: Efficacy of an anatomic approach in a large cohort of patients with atrial fibrillation. Circulation 2001;104:2539‚Äì2544.
45. Pappone C, Rosanio S, Oreto G, et al. Circumferential radiofrequency ablation of pulmonary vein ostia: A new anatomic approach for curing atrial fibrillation. Circulation 2000;102:2619‚Äì2628.
46. Cheema A, Dong J, Dalal D, et al. Incidence and time course of early recovery of pulmonary vein conduction after catheter ablation of atrial fibrillation. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 2007;18:387‚Äì391.
47. Mainigi SK, Sauer WH, Cooper JM, et al. Incidence and predictors of very late recurrence of atrial fibrillation after ablation. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 2007;18:69‚Äì74.
48. Ouyang F, Antz M, Ernst S, et al. Recovered pulmonary vein conduction as a dominant factor for recurrent atrial tachyarrhythmias after complete circular isolation of the pulmonary veins: Lessons from double Lasso technique. Circulation 2005;111:127‚Äì135.
49. Kanagaratnam L, Tomassoni G, Schweikert R, et al. Empirical pulmonary vein isolation in patients with chronic atrial fibrillation using a three-dimensional nonfluoroscopic mapping system: Long-term follow-up. Pacing Clin Electrophysiol 2001;24:1774‚Äì1779.
50. Oral H, Knight BP, Tada H, et al. Pulmonary vein isolation for paroxysmal and persistent atrial fibrillation. Circulation 2002;105:1077‚Äì1081.
51. Pappone C, Manguso F, Vicedomini G, et al. Prevention of iatrogenic atrial tachycardia after ablation of atrial fibrillation: A prospective randomized study comparing circumferential pulmonary vein ablation with a modified approach. Circulation 2004;110:3036‚Äì3042.
52. Ernst S, Ouyang F, Lober F, et al. Catheter-induced linear lesions in the left atrium in patients with atrial fibrillation: An electroanatomic study. J Am Coll Cardiol 2003;42:1271‚Äì1282.
53. Hocini M, Jais P, Sanders P, et al. Techniques, evaluation, and consequences of linear block at the left atrial roof in paroxysmal atrial fibrillation: A prospective randomized study. Circulation 2005;112:3688‚Äì3696.
54. Jais P, Hocini M, Hsu LF, et al. Technique and results of linear ablation at the mitral isthmus. Circulation 2004;110:2996‚Äì3002.
55. Wazni O, Marrouche NF, Martin DO, et al. Randomized study comparing combined pulmonary vein-left atrial junction disconnection and cavotricuspid isthmus ablation versus pulmonary vein-left atrial junction disconnection alone in patients presenting with typical atrial flutter and atrial fibrillation. Circulation 2003;108:2479‚Äì2483.
56. Lin WS, Tai CT, Hsieh MH, et al. Catheter ablation of paroxysmal atrial fibrillation initiated by non-pulmonary vein ectopy. Circulation 2003;107:3176‚Äì3183.
57. Tanner H, Hindricks G, Kobza R, et al. Trigger activity more than three years after left atrial linear ablation without pulmonary vein isolation in patients with atrial fibrillation. J Am Coll Cardiol 2005;46:338‚Äì343.
58. Konings KT, Smeets JL, Penn OC, et al. Configuration of unipolar atrial electrograms during electrically induced atrial fibrillation in humans. Circulation 1997;95:1231‚Äì1241.
59. Nademanee K, McKenzie J, Kosar E, et al. A new approach for catheter ablation of atrial fibrillation: Mapping of the electrophysiologic substrate. J Am Coll Cardiol 2004;43:2044‚Äì2053.
60. Oral H, Chugh A, Good E, et al. A tailored approach to catheter ablation of paroxysmal atrial fibrillation. Circulation 2006;113:1824‚Äì1831.
61. Estner HL, Hessling G, Ndrepepa G, et al. Electrogram-guided substrate ablation with or without pulmonary vein isolation in patients with persistent atrial fibrillation. Europace 2008;10:1281‚Äì1287.
62. Verma A, Novak P, Macle L, et al. A prospective, multicenter evaluation of ablating complex fractionated electrograms (CFEs) during atrial fibrillation (AF) identified by an automated mapping algorithm: Acute effects on AF and efficacy as an adjuvant strategy. Heart Rhythm 2008;5:198‚Äì205.
63. Pappone C, Santinelli V, Manguso F, et al. Pulmonary vein denervation enhances long-term benefit after circumferential ablation for paroxysmal atrial fibrillation. Circulation 2004;109:327‚Äì334.
64. Haissaguerre M, Hocini M, Sanders P, et al. Catheter ablation of long-lasting persistent atrial fibrillation: Clinical outcome and mechanisms of subsequent arrhythmias. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 2005;16:1138‚Äì1147.
65. Haissaguerre M, Sanders P, Hocini M, et al. Catheter ablation of long-lasting persistent atrial fibrillation: Critical structures for termination. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 2005;16:1125‚Äì1137.
66. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Circulatory Devices Panel Meeting: Briefing Information. Available at: http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/ac/08/briefing/2008-4393b1-00-Index.html. Accessed 12/11/08, 2008.
67. Jais P, Cauchemez B, Macle L, et al. Catheter ablation versus antiarrhythmic drugs for atrial fibrillation: The A4 study. Circulation 2008;118:2498‚Äì2505.
68. Krittayaphong R, Raungrattanaamporn O, Bhuripanyo K, et al. A randomized clinical trial of the efficacy of radiofrequency catheter ablation and amiodarone in the treatment of symptomatic atrial fibrillation. J Med Assoc Thai 2003;86(Suppl 1):S8‚ÄìS16.
69. Oral H, Pappone C, Chugh A, et al. Circumferential pulmonary-vein ablation for chronic atrial fibrillation. N Engl J Med 2006;354:934‚Äì941.
70. Pappone C, Augello G, Sala S, et al. A randomized trial of circumferential pulmonary vein ablation versus antiarrhythmic drug therapy in paroxysmal atrial fibrillation: The APAF Study. J Am Coll Cardiol 2006;48:2340‚Äì2347.
71. Stabile G, Bertaglia E, Senatore G, et al. Catheter ablation treatment in patients with drug-refractory atrial fibrillation: A prospective, multi-centre, randomized, controlled study (Catheter Ablation For The Cure Of Atrial Fibrillation Study). Eur Heart J 2006;27:216‚Äì221.
72. Nair GM, Nery PB, Diwakaramenon S, et al. A systematic review of randomized trials comparing radiofrequency ablation with antiarrhythmic medications in patients with atrial fibrillation. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 2009;20:138‚Äì144.
73. Noheria A, Kumar A, Wylie JV Jr, Josephson ME. Catheter ablation vs antiarrhythmic drug therapy for atrial fibrillation: A systematic review. Arch Intern Med 2008;168:581‚Äì586.
74. Chen MS, Marrouche NF, Khaykin Y, et al. Pulmonary vein isolation for the treatment of atrial fibrillation in patients with impaired systolic function. J Am Coll Cardiol 2004;43:1004‚Äì1009.
75. Pappone C, Rosanio S, Augello G, et al. Mortality, morbidity, and quality of life after circumferential pulmonary vein ablation for atrial fibrillation: Outcomes from a controlled nonrandomized long-term study. J Am Coll Cardiol 2003;42:185‚Äì197.
76. Dong J, Vasamreddy CR, Jayam V, et al. Incidence and predictors of pulmonary vein stenosis following catheter ablation of atrial fibrillation using the anatomic pulmonary vein ablation approach: Results from paired magnetic resonance imaging. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 2005;16:845‚Äì852.
77. Saad EB, Rossillo A, Saad CP, et al. Pulmonary vein stenosis after radiofrequency ablation of atrial fibrillation: Functional characterization, evolution, and influence of the ablation strategy. Circulation 2003;108:3102‚Äì3107.
78. Cappato R, Calkins H, Chen SA, et al. Worldwide survey on the methods, efficacy, and safety of catheter ablation for human atrial fibrillation. Circulation 2005;111:1100‚Äì1105.
79. Oral H, Chugh A, Ozaydin M, et al. Risk of thromboembolic events after percutaneous left atrial radiofrequency ablation of atrial fibrillation. Circulation 2006;114:759‚Äì765.
80. Ren JF, Marchlinski FE, Callans DJ. Left atrial thrombus associated with ablation for atrial fibrillation: Identification with intracardiac echocardiography. J Am Coll Cardiol 2004;43:1861‚Äì1867.
81. Hsu LF, Jais P, Hocini M, et al. Incidence and prevention of cardiac tamponade complicating ablation for atrial fibrillation. Pacing Clin Electrophysiol 2005;28(Suppl 1):S106‚Äì109.
82. Bunch TJ, Asirvatham SJ, Friedman PA, et al. Outcomes after cardiac perforation during radiofrequency ablation of the atrium. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 2005;16:1172‚Äì1179.
83. Hindricks G, Piorkowski C, Tanner H, et al. Perception of atrial fibrillation before and after radiofrequency catheter ablation: Relevance of asymptomatic arrhythmia recurrence. Circulation 2005;112:307‚Äì313.
84. Saliba W, Reddy VY, Wazni O, et al. Atrial fibrillation ablation using a robotic catheter remote control system: Initial human experience and long-term follow-up results. J Am Coll Cardiol 2008;51:2407‚Äì2411.
85. Knight B, Ayers GM, Cohen TJ. Robotic positioning of standard electrophysiology catheters: A novel approach to catheter robotics. J Invasive Cardiol 2008;20:250‚Äì253.
86. Boersma LV, Wijffels MC, Oral H, et al. Pulmonary vein isolation by duty-cycled bipolar and unipolar radiofrequency energy with a multielectrode ablation catheter. Heart Rhythm 2008;5:1635‚Äì1642.
87. Kistler PM. Multielectrode ablation for paroxysmal atrial fibrillation: Pulmonary vein isolation made easy? Heart Rhythm 2008;5:1643‚Äì1644.
88. Malmborg H, Lonnerholm S, Blomstrom-Lundqvist C. Acute and clinical effects of cryoballoon pulmonary vein isolation in patients with symptomatic paroxysmal and persistent atrial fibrillation. Europace 2008;10:1277‚Äì1280.
89. Van Belle Y, Janse P, Theuns D, et al. One year follow-up after cryoballoon isolation of the pulmonary veins in patients with paroxysmal atrial fibrillation. Europace 2008;10:1271‚Äì1276.
90. Neumann T, Vogt J, Schumacher B, et al. Circumferential pulmonary vein isolation with the cryoballoon technique results from a prospective 3-center study. J Am Coll Cardiol 2008;52:273-278.
91. Phillips KP, Schweikert RA, Saliba WI, et al. Anatomic location of pulmonary vein electrical disconnection with balloon-based catheter ablation. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 2008;19:14‚Äì18.